Charles Le Brun painted the May of 1647. The first disciple of Jesus, with his brother Peter, was crucified by order of the proconsul Ageas around the year 60. Charles Le Brun was trained in the studio of Simon Vouet, painter of the May of 1640. After spending four years in Rome studying the great masters, Le Brun returned to Paris in 1646. The following year, he was named “Painter and Valet de chambre du Roi”. At the same time, he received the commission for this May of 1647. The painting hung in the Saint-Landry chapel.